Last Updated: Jun 06, 2018
The names of several core academic buildings on the NPS campus can be dated to a document celebrating their rededication on May 31 1956. This document, called "Dedication of Buildings / 31 May 1956" gives short histories of the buildings to celebrate the transition to their new names and purposes. This is available in the NPS Archive, Calhoun t at https://calhoun.nps.edu/handle/10945/42465.
Buildings profiled in this document:
This is the first paragraph for the entry on the new "Hermmann Hall":
"HERRMANN HALL is named in honor of Rear Admiral ERNEST EDWARD HERRMANN, United States Navy, deceased, who aa Superintendent from 1950 to 1952 so effectively supervised the movement of the Naval Postgraduate School from Annapolis and ita establishment with the General Line School as an integrated command in the present Monterey facilities. This building, formerly the world-famous Del Monte Hotel, houses the principal administrative offices of the Postgraduate School command as well aa living accommodations for the large number of bachelor officers here. At present, the General Line School utilizes one complete wing for administrative and instruction purposes, pending the expected construction of !ta own especially designed building."